Tips and Tricks

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Whitehouse Field 1

So our Friday night game was canceled due to the fields being muddy!  But our double header in Whitehouse today is on.  The weather is gorgeous...82 degrees and sunny.   The ASA softball U14 games are at 1:00pm and 3:00pm and Matthew has a partner today.  :) 

Last night I bought some snacks and also packed some sandwiches for after church.  Luckily we go to church right down the road so we have time to eat.  I also bought a few Gatorades and yes I threw out his old water bottle (an empty Gatorade bottle he refilled ALL last season) that was all scuffed up and yeah, just plain GROSS! 

As Matthew gets ready to take the plate for the first game I make sure he eats something.  Umpires can be very preoccupied especially when they are preparing for a game.  He at least gets a few bites in.  His partner seems very nice and very competent which is awesome!

The wind is very strong today and I make sure to bring my hat and sunscreen.  Last year I forgot my sunscreen and ended up with a nasty sunburn.  Lesson learned. 

The first game is between Anthony Wayne and Clyde.  Both teams look really good.  They start out the first inning pretty much equal with Anthony Wayne up 2-1.  The next few innings are pretty uneventful until the top of the 5th.  Matthew takes a bad pitch to his right forearm.  Instantly, it swells up and he is having trouble using it.  It is the hardest thing to be on the other side of the fence knowing he is hurt.  It is something I am trying to get tougher about, but I don't think I will ever get used to it.  Between innings he is able to put some ice on it and he finishes up all seven innings!  Final unofficial score AW-3 Clyde-1  Total squats for Matthew 197.

I was very impressed with both teams, their coaches and their parents.  Everyone was positive and the girls had a good time!

Game 2

We stay on Field 1 with Anthony Wayne and the Norwak team joins us.  I can tell Matthew is struggling a little with his arm and am so grateful that he has a partner so he can take the bases. 

Right off the bat in the first inning I can tell the Norwak 1st base coach is going to be annoying.  Matthew calls a girl out and he comments "Her foot was off the bag blue."  Well yeah it was, but she put it back on before his girl got there.  

The Anthony Wayne girls are on their game today and are racking up the runs.  I can tell the Norwak pitcher is getting very frustrated and the coaches are not doing much for the moral of the team.  Come on guys, this is the time to inject a little humor and get the girls motivated.  Instead the game plugs on and after 4 innings and a score of 14-3 AW...the time expires.

Thank you to the nice lady who gave Matthew some yummy sugar cookies and to the lady who provided the ice bag for his arm!

It has been a long day and the sun and wind (and in Matthew's case the BALL) have taken its toll.  Matthew and I fall asleep watching the Masters.

No comments:

Post a Comment