Tips and Tricks

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Play Ball...or Not?

I woke up this morning (game day) and the sun is shining, but rain is forcasted for the afternoon.  Great!  Not sure if the games will get rained out...not usually, unless there is standing water on the field.  These teams play in all kids of weather!

After leaving church a little later than planned, we skip our normal #10 at McDonalds and head straight for the game.  It is 35 degrees, windy and rainy as we pull up next to another umpire who is suiting up.

Matthew starts putting on his gear as I gather up my sleeping bag, quilt, baseball bag (packed with snacks, umbrella, hat, gloves, clicker, etc.) and my folding chair.  I put on my extra sweatshirt and pull my hood up.  Yes, umpire's girls have just as much equipment to put on and carry!  The number one thing to remember is to be prepared for ANY kind of weather.

We set out on the trek to Field B with two other umpires in tow.  They are all very professional and take their responsibilities seriously.  As we approach the fields we are met by the groundskeeper who informs us that the Field D game has been cancelled.  This umpire had driven from Oak Harbor to officiate and did not get a call ahead of time.  I can tell the guy is upset and unfortunately the team did not call until 10 minutes before start time to notify that they would not be coming.  In a heartbeat, Matthew offers his field to the umpire.  I am shocked!  Nevermind all the prep work we did to get here or the fact that he just lost the money for his days work! No umpires don't get paid for showing up when a game is cancelled.   The other umpire gratefully takes the game and we head back to the car.

As we walk, I ask Matthew why he did this.  He smiles and tells me that maybe that guy needed the games more than he did and he will make it up later in the season.  I am so proud of him!  The respect and genuine unselfishness these umpires have for one another is remarkable.

Not the way we planned on starting the season, but it works for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment